October 3, 2017 | By Classic Wedding Invitations
Ex as Your Wedding Guest
This is quite a controversial issue when inviting your ex as your wedding guest. I mean why would you invite someone that broke your heart in the past? Your wedding day is all about celebrating you and your partner’s love for each other—so how does an ex fit into that situation?
There are some cases that it’s alright to invite your Ex. Here are some considerations:
- It was more of a childhood/middle school/high school relationship and it’s 100 percent laughable, done with and drama-free now.
- If he/she is part of your circle and everyone is 100% comfortable with it.
- If your ex is a former spouse and you have children together who will be at the wedding. That is you and your ex should be on extremely good terms and you both feel it’s good to have both parents there to reaffirm and support that this is a good thing.
Most cases, ex should be excluded as a wedding guest if:
- Everyone is not 100 percent comfortable with it. You don’t want your guests’ eyebrows to be raised the whole evening as to why your former boyfriend/girlfriend is present, don’t invite them.
- You’ll be worried about how they’ll act. Ask yourself these questions: Can your ex be trusted to politely and respectfully enjoy the evening without any supervision? Is your ex delightful as can be sober, but a totally different person drunk? Absolutely avoid any potential sad, nostalgic tears, or even worse, aggressive parking lot fights at the after-party.
- You’ll be worried how their date will act.
- You’ll have trouble introducing them. If the only way you think of them is as your ex, it’s going to be awkward for everyone involved—and definitely not the day to do it.
Please take time to consider inviting your ex to your wedding. This could be detrimental to your marriage even before it begins.
What about you? Would you invite your ex to your wedding? Please share and comment down below.
Check out Most Common Wedding Invitation Etiquette Questions Answered